1. Progressives have a phobia about guns, not all weapons, just guns. History has shown that other methods of violently ending another person's life cause more deaths than guns. And yet whenever a tragedy happens the progressives focus on the guns. We also know that the perpetrators of the most recent tragedies were not mentally healthy, but it is the guns that have become the focus of the progressives and not the mental health of the criminals.
2. The progressives love to make everything a crisis. From the recession of 2009 to Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy (anyone remember Snow-maggedon and Frankenstorm?), to the Fiscal Cliff and health care crisis, to the mass shooting in CO and CT; we do not have ordinary societal problems anymore, everything is a CRISIS!!! And the blame is always focused on the right that the progressives want to take away. Yesterday it was tax hikes on the rich, today it is gun control, tomorrow it will be private property (see Agenda 21).
3. It is much easier to focus on the tool used in the action than on the cause of the action. It is much easier to get the public all upset with guns than it is to tackle the issue of evil people. The progressives have never been very good at defining evil, for most of the last century they have wanted us to believe that most humans are basically good people and the violent offenders are only acting out because of some injustice in their past and they need to be pitied and coddled because they were not loved enough. Well guess what, there are EVIL people. There are people who wish to hurt others, not because they were not hugged enough as a kid, but because they like to see people hurt.
4. The progressives like to use emotion to push their agenda. Rahm Emmanual said: "Never let a crisis go to waste."
So in order to ensure your agenda is forwarded, use emotion. Even if that means getting upset and emotional in front of a Senate committee:
Never allow the people to frame a purely logical conclusion, never let the facts stand for themselves. Never be completely unbiased:
"The Progressives believed in the Hamiltonian concept of positive government, of a national government directing the destinies of the nation at home and abroad. They had little but contempt for the strict construction of the Constitution by conservative judges, who would restrict the power of the national government to act against social evils and to extend the blessings of democracy to less favored lands. The real enemy was particularism, state rights, limited government." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism_in_the_United_States. Progressives have been waging war on the American Culture for over a century now.
Since the 1970's progressives have been using Saul Alinsky type warfare to force their concept of social justice on the American people. Saul Alinsky developed rules to transform the political climate and push the social justice agenda on an unwilling American citizenry:
- RULE 1: “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood.
- RULE 2: “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone.
- RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty.
- RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.
- RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.
- RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones.
- RULE 7: “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.” Don’t become old news.
- RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.” Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new.
- RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.” Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist.
- RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.” Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog.
- RULE 11: “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.” Never let the enemy score points because you’re caught without a solution to the problem.
- RULE 12: “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.
I would say that Rule 9 is being applied very well to the current issue of gun control. And Dianne Feinstein is a master at Rule 8.
We are fighting a century old virus that has been allowed to become infectious. The agenda has made its way into the education system, the hall of justice, the legislatures, the corporations, the unions, the media, and into the hearts and minds of the younger generation that has been indoctrinated into thinking that everything must be "fair".
Freedom is risky, progressivism promises "fairness"; Freedom can be dangerous, progressivism promises security; Freedom has no guarantees, progressivism promises cradle to grave care; Freedom is costly, progressivism promises safety. And yet refugees from around the world are still seeking the freedom that is available (maybe for a limited time) here in the United States.
So why the attack on the guns? Because the guns are the last line of defense against their agenda. Progressives cannot take the final step of enslaving the freedom-loving American people as long as we can defend ourselves. Guns equal Freedom. If we allow the progressives to take away our guns, freedom is the casualty.